[SciPy-user] what's wrong with radom.multivariate_normal

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 04:34:05 CST 2005

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Robert Kern wrote:
>
>>Travis Oliphant wrote:
>>
>>>Can you make these changes?   Pick the names you want...  I think the
>>>little experiment is bust and we should do as you say.
>>
>>Yes, I can do this tonight.

I've just commited my changes to scipy_core. Now, I must be missing something,
because scipy.linalg still exists and is the same module as scipy.basic.linalg,
not scipy.linalg from full scipy no matter how I try to import things. I'm using
a regular install; not eggs.

I've also moved random.py out into main core/scipy/ directory under the
reasoning that we shouldn't get name conflicts with anything in full scipy. I
think that anything we'd want to add to full scipy wrt random numbers should
either get its own module (e.g. scipy.mcmc, scipy.aesprng) or will fit
comfortably in scipy.stats.

Also, since we no longer want to automatically import things exposed in
scipy.basic.__init__, can we make it an empty __init__.py? That way we don't
waste time and memory importing the fft modules when we only need linear algebra.

> I suggest then moving some of scipy.corelib packages under scipy.basic as
> well. Currently linalg related codes, for instance, are dispersed in too
> many places: scipy.lib.lapack_lite, scipy.basic.linalg,
> scipy.basic.basic_lite + full scipy packages scipy.lib.lapack,
> scipy.linalg. I would move scipy.lib.lapack_lite under scipy.basic and
> joining scipy.basic.linalg and scipy.basic.basic_lite to
> scipy.basic.linalg.
>
> I suggest also renaming scipy/corelib to scipy/lib.
>
> I can do some of the code clean up today as well.

Can you do what you suggested? I'm pretty sure I'll muck it up somehow.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter