[SciPy-user] Install problem - Overwriting message when importing scipy

Hugo Gamboa hgamboa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 20:11:53 CST 2005

Hi to all,

I decided to make the effort to use the svn version of scipy.

After adding the requested libraries to my kubuntu box, the core/scipy
install process gave some warnings but managed to finish.

The problem appears when the import is done where the following messages
appear:

>> import scipy
Overwriting test = <module 'scipy.test' from
'/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/test/__init__.pyc'> with <bound
method ScipyTest.test of <scipy.test.testing.ScipyTest instance at
0xb4eec58c>>
Overwriting utils = <module 'scipy.base.utils' from
'/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/base/utils.pyc'> with <module '
scipy.utils' from
'/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/utils/__init__.pyc'>
Overwriting fftpack = <module 'scipy.basic.fftpack' from
'/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/basic/fftpack.pyc'> with <module '
scipy.fftpack' from
'/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/fftpack/__init__.pyc'>
Overwriting fft = <function fft at 0xb4eef41c> with <function fft at
0xb48d23e4>
Overwriting ifft = <function inverse_fft at 0xb4eef454> with <function ifft
at 0xb48d241c>
Overwriting randn = <built-in method randn of mtrand.RandomState object at
0xb7e58190> with <function randn at 0xb48a59cc>

Some code that used to work with scipy managed to give a segmentation fault.

Since is my first scipy installation I may missing some very basic step.

Have anyone experienced and solved a similar problem? Are more details
needed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hugo Gamboa