[SciPy-user] What is fastest load/save matrix methods?

Cournapeau David cournape at atr.jp
Wed Dec 21 19:48:41 CST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 14:04 +0100, Francesc Altet wrote:
> A Dimecres 21 Desembre 2005 04:01, Cournapeau David va escriure:
> > An other really important point is that you can easily import the
> > pytables files from other languages, such as C (I am using pytables/hdf5
> > to transfer data between python and matlab), which may be crucial
> > depending on your working environment.
> >
> > I am not sure it is possible with "pure scipy" methods (at least in a
> > reasonable way). I may be totally wrong, though, as I don't much on the
> > implementation of the array protocol in scipy, and on the write/read
> > methods.
>
> I'm aware that there exist machinery in scipy to read matlab files
> (see io.loadmat). However, I think that this format it is not meant to
> become a standard (although it might become a 'de facto' standard, a
> la Microsoft Office), and in fact, MathWorks does change the format
> from time to time to accomodate more features.

Maybe I was not clear: I am using hdf5 files to transfer data between
matlab and python, and not matfile. matfile, though documented, can
change any time, and the official library to read them from C is not
free in any sense.

matlab, in recent versions (> 6.5), can read hdf5 files (having an old
version, I had to program my own matlab interface  to the C hdf5 api).

I intend to use this technique to make the transition from matlab to
scipy less painful and more graduate.

David