[SciPy-user] scipy install on mac os x

Evan Monroig evan at monroig.net
Mon Dec 26 04:14:00 CST 2005

Hi,

summary: almost successful install on Tiger, only
clapack/cblas/fftpack seem not to work properly

I have already installed scipy on my linux box, and now I am trying
also to use it on a Mac Os X Tiger. I followed the recent discussions
on the mailing list, and tried to use them and here is my experience.

1) I used the python2.4.1 mac installer from here
http://python.org/ftp/python/2.4.1/MacPython-OSX-2.4.1-1.dmg

2) I used the python2.4 fix for Tiger
http://pythonmac.org/packages/TigerPython24Fix-r2.zip

3) I changed my path so that /usr/local/bin appears before /usr/bin
(the objective being that launching "python" in the shell goes to
python2.4 and not python2.3)

4) I used the 4 installers provided by on http://trichech.us/mac
http://fisher.forestry.uga.edu/files/scipy_core-0.8.6.1693-py2.4-macosx10.4.dmg
http://fisher.forestry.uga.edu/files/scipy-0.4.3.1493-py2.4-macosx10.4.dmg
http://fisher.forestry.uga.edu/files/matplotlib-0.85.1.cvs.dmg
http://fisher.forestry.uga.edu/files/numarray-1.5.0.dmg

One possible concern is that they were built for python2.4.2 and not
python2.4.1 but I think this should not pose problems

5) I ran the tests in the command line:
----
EvanL:~ evanmonroig$ python
Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin
>>> from scipy import *
>>> test()
[.....]
Ran 1372 tests in 8.686s

FAILED (failures=11)
----

I put all details in the attached files, but to sum up the failures
are mostly due to:
a) clapack module is empty
b) cblas module is empty
c) fftpack gives wrong results

Any thoughts? Should I install the lapack and blas library by myself,
or are they already on my system (it is likely so because I previously
installed Octave)?

Thanks,

Evan