[SciPy-user] WinXP python 2.4.2 upgrade: scipy build fails

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Dec 26 22:37:10 CST 2005

Gary wrote:

>I'm upgrading from python 2.3 to 2.4.2.
>
>I refreshed my svn's, deleted the previous build directories.
>
>scipy_core installed fine.

Let's emphasize this part lest people confuse full scipy install
difficulties with sicpy_core install difficulties :-)

>scipy fails.  What did I do wrong?
>(one thing: I didn't try the latest scipy with the old python before
>changing both at the same time  :)    )

That shouldn't matter.

What BLAS libraries are you using for scipy.  It looks like scipy is not
finding your blas and/or lapack libraries.  SciPy core can use them but
does not require them.   Full SciPy, however, requires them.

-Travis

>c:\python24\lib\site-packages\scipy\distutils\system_info.py:1174:
>UserWarning:
>
>    Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
>    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
>    scipy_distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
>    the ATLAS environment variable.
>  warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
>blas_info:
>  NOT AVAILABLE
>
>c:\python24\lib\site-packages\scipy\distutils\system_info.py:1183:
>UserWarning:
>
>    Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) libraries not found.
>    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
>    scipy_distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas]) or by setting
>    the BLAS environment variable.
>  warnings.warn(BlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
>blas_src_info:
>  NOT AVAILABLE
>
>c:\python24\lib\site-packages\scipy\distutils\system_info.py:1186:
>UserWarning:
>
>    Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) sources not found.
>    Directories to search for the sources can be specified in the
>    scipy_distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas_src]) or by setting
>    the BLAS_SRC environment variable.

These warnings indicate that no blas can be found.  You need some BLAS
library for full scipy.  Even the sources from netlib would be something
but most really want a faster BLAS for their system.

There are similar warnings for LAPACK, I think.  Make sure you have some
BLAS and LAPACK installed (like ATLAS), and then try to install full
scipy again.

-Travis