[SciPy-user] default dtype

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Fri Dec 30 14:56:11 CST 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Travis Oliphant apparently wrote:
> The default can be changed in one place in the C-code if
> we did decide to change it.   Now's the time because
> version 1.0 is approaching in the next couple of months.

Once discovered, it does not matter much of course.
My only argument for the change is the effect on prospective
users as opposed to the existing base of knowledgeable
users: most I suspect will come from environments where
every number containing object is filled with floats by
default.  (I think GAUSS and Matlab work this way.)  Any
ordinary user who creates an array of zeros (or empty) and
then assigns floats to a few elements is likely to be
surprised by the outcome, I believe.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac