[SciPy-user] histogram bug ?

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Fri Dec 30 15:26:02 CST 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Travis Oliphant apparently wrote:
> So, clearly the sort function could still return a copy
> while the sort method does the in-place sort.   I had
> forgotten that sort was not a method in Numeric. ...  I'll
> do this as part of the change of inlining the sorting
> methods.

Great!
I think this is important because of Python's behavior.
Making the function name `sort` instead of `sorted` also
leaves Python's built-in usable even if the scipy namespace
is imported, which might be useful.

I will also mention another case: ravel.

I do not have an opinion on this one.  But a parallel makes
this seem worth mentioning: Numeric only had the function,
while (in conflict with the current ndarray) the numarray
ravel method worked in place and returned None.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac