[SciPy-user] large arrays ( > 2 gb) in numarray?

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Wed Feb 9 13:18:49 CST 2005

Louis Wicker wrote:

> I am running into a big problem that I thought I would ask about.
>
> I am designing this system for the SGI Altix machines, which is a
> Linux64 box with > 15 Gb of memory.
>
> I ran into the problem that Numeric or Numarray will not allow me to
> allocate an array larger than 2 gb.  Is this a fundamental limitation
> of numarray/Numeric, or

Yes and no. Currently the limitation is driven by the fact that Python
uses 32 bit integers for indexing sequence objects, and it is desired
that Numeric and numarray support that protocol for many good reasons.
The good news is that work is well underway to change Python to support
64-bit sequence indices. The bad new is that it will take at least a few
months for these changes to show up in a version of Python that we can
test updated versions of numarray (or Numeric, or Numeric3) against.
This capability should be present within the next 6 months to a year I'm
guessing.

Perry Greenfield