[SciPy-user] lognormal distribution

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 9 18:57:08 CST 2005

Stephen Walton wrote:
> An application question for a change:  I need to produce pseudorandom
> numbers drawn from a lognormal distribution (see
> http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/eda3669.htm).  Does
> anyone have existing code for this in Numeric or numarray?

In [24]: scipy.stats.lognorm?
Type:           instance
Base Class:     scipy.stats.distributions.lognorm_gen
String Form:    <scipy.stats.distributions.lognorm_gen instance at 0x45187f0c>
Namespace:      Interactive
Docstring:
     A lognormal continuous random variable.

         Continuous random variables are defined from a standard form chosen
         for simplicity of representation.  The standard form may require
         some shape parameters to complete its specification.  The distributions
         also take optional location and scale parameters using loc= and scale=
         keywords (defaults: loc=0, scale=1)

I'm not a stats person, so perhaps this one is not enough for you.  If that's
the case, sorry about the noise.

Best,