[SciPy-user] Building Scipy on Dell 64bit Xeon

David Noriega neruocomp at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 16:33:35 CDT 2005

Well thats easier said then done on a fedora/redhat
system.  I know enought to get rpmbuild to rebuild gcc
for me, but how would I get it to recompile gcc with
-fPIC.  Any ideas as to which file I should edit and
where to put "-fPIC"?

--- Nicolas Pernetty <nicopernetty at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:07:10 -0700 (PDT), David
> Noriega
> <neruocomp at yahoo.com> wrote :
>
> > Hello, I've been put in charge of setting up a
> Dell
> > 64bit Xeon workstation and on the side I've been
> tring
> > to get scipy to install, but I haven't had any
> luck.
> > I compiled LAPACK, BLAS, and ATLAS sucsesfuly and
> > scipy finds them.  Its when I try to build scipy
> that
> > I get problems.  I try just plain "./setup.py
> build"
> > and I get these errors:
>
> Hello,
>
> > /usr/bin/ld:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.2.3/libg2c.a(s_stop.o):
> > relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol'
> can
> > not be used when making a shared object; recompile
> > with -fPIC
>
> It seems that your gcc installation is somewhat
> messed up (libg2c hasn't
> been compiled with -fPIC)
> IMHO, best you can do to see if it's the problem is
> to compile your own
> gcc (try 3.4.3 instead of 4.0.0 which seems a little
> buggy). Don't be
> afraid : it's not that hard.
>
> Regards,

Don't fear that philosophy's an impious way
--superstition's more likely to lead folk astray.

~Lucretius, De rerum natura, Book One

http://mindbender.deviantart.com