[SciPy-user] pyfits question: handling gzipped fits files

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Thu Jul 14 09:38:40 CDT 2005

Is there some reasonable way to get pyfits to read a gzipped fits file
(in a way that works on Windows and unix)?

I realize I can unzip the file first, but I was hoping to have it
directly read (unzipped on the fly).

I can't see any command that takes a file-like object (instead of a file
path), so I can't see how to take advantage of Python's gzip module.

I realize I can just edit the code and add this in, but, well...if
there's a better way I'd love to know about it and if there isn't, I'd
like to request that it be modified to handle gzipped files
automatically.

-- Russell

P.S. I hope this isn't a duplicate. I tried posting before I was a
member of the list -- I read it on gmane -- and that posting was held.