[SciPy-user] Clarification

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Sat Jul 16 12:28:46 CDT 2005

    Perry> Since John Hunter is away I'll try to answer that as best
    Perry> as I can. I think the current thinking on 3D capabilities
    Perry> is that it may be worth adding limited capabilities such as
    Perry> surface plots and perhaps 3-d scatter plots. I doubt that
    Perry> there will be any attempt to try to duplicate any
    Perry> significant fraction of what VTK provides and equivalent.
    Perry> The motivation for including any 3-d capabilities is to
    Perry> avoid users having to install VTK (which can be daunting
    Perry> for some). Also, I think ultimately it is desired that
    Perry> matplotlib optionally support VTK plotting within its
    Perry> figures (i.e., it won't be necessary to install VTK unless
    Perry> you want those capabilities).

I sincerely hope that we don't end up with 10 different 3d packages,
each doing its thing slightly different.

<shameless-plug>
I've worked quite hard on tvtk and the core mayavi2 infrastructure.
I've been trying to use a lot of Enthought's open source tools to do
this job right by focussing on the "model" and less on the view.  Here
is more information:

 http://www.python-in-business.org/ep2005/talk.chtml?talk=1721&track=646

 http://www.python-in-business.org/ep2005/talk.chtml?talk=1723&track=646
</shameless-plug>

I think a more constructive thing to do would be to make prebuilt VTK
binaries available.  Debian ships with VTK (under 11 architectures!),
VTK-4.4 binaries are available for Win32 via Enthon, IIRC VTK rpms are
also available.  If this is not enough, surely it would be easier for
folks to just contribute a build for a favorite platform every year or
6 months.  It is not too hard to do if you are used to building
software.  But it is work and not a trivial thing either.

regards,
prabhu