[SciPy-user] Clarification

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Sat Jul 16 16:47:28 CDT 2005

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Prabhu Ramachandran apparently wrote:
> I think a more constructive thing to do would be to make
> prebuilt VTK binaries available.

I am a relatively new SciPy user.
Here was my experience.
1. After some messing around, learn that I should use
   Matplotlib rather than *plt.
2. Learn that Matplotlib does not support 3D surface plots.
3. Learn that people are recommending MayaVi.
4. Go to MayaVi website and give thanks that there is
   a Win32 binary that "comes bundled with everything
   necessary to run MayaVi."  (Of course this means that
   I read past the "recommendation" to install from sources
   ...)
5. Install the binary and discover, alas, that I did not get
   the pyvtk module with it. And test_vtk.py wants in
   addition a vtkpython module. Then I find this:
        "If you have installed MayaVi from the sources and
        are not using a binary release, then you can use
        MayaVi as a Python module."
   Aha.  That is what that "recommendation" was about.  Can
   we agree that "recommendation" at this point appears
   a bit understated?
6. Find nothing in the docs about how to add the module(s)
   to work with my MayaVi installation, except of course the
   recommendation to install from source.  (Of course,
   despite the sanguine assessment on the MayaVi page,
   I recall the various warnings of others, plus I now feel
   "once burned".)
7. Give up and keep using gnuplot for now.

If this sounds like a complaint, it is not.
It is meant to be informational.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac