[SciPy-user] Error using fmin_powell

cupric cupricwhistle at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 19:36:35 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I think this question has been asked earlier, but I
wasn't able to get any definitive answer from the
related postings and hence, I am asking it again.

I was trying to use the optimization functions in the
scipy package. While using the function "fmin_powell",
the program dies giving the following error messages.

  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/optimize/optimize.py",
line 1486, in fmin_powell
    fval, x, direc1 = _linesearch_powell(func, x,
direc1, args=args, tol=xtol*100)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/optimize/optimize.py",
line 1415, in _linesearch_powell
    full_output=1, tol=tol)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/optimize/optimize.py",
line 1196, in brent
    xa,xb,xc,fa,fb,fc,funcalls = bracket(func,
args=args)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/optimize/optimize.py",
line 1349, in bracket
    fa = apply(func, (xa,)+args)
TypeError: _myfunc() takes at most 5 arguments (6
given)

Earlier discussion on the topic concluded that there
was a bug in the function which had been fixed.
However, even after installing the newest version of
the scipy package, I get the very same error. Any help
would be much appreciated.

thanks,
cupric