[SciPy-user] Re: 2D interpolation from a set of irregularly spaced

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Tue Jul 19 12:08:24 CDT 2005

On Jul 19, 2005, at 12:57 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2005-07-19, Eric Emsellem <emsellem at obs.univ-lyon1.fr> wrote:
>> Hi again,
>> Robert Kern provided me some input with a link to Scientific Python
>> (thanks!)
>>
>> ==> However this is again using an ORTHOGONAL GRID!
>> The set of points I am using are NOT on an orthogonal grid but are
>> RANDOMLY positioned points...
>>
>> So any idea on how to interpolate a set of randomly positioned
>> x,y ?? (so I have three 1D arrays: x, y for the positions, and
>> z for the values. I need to know z at other positions...)
>
> I had to do the same thing recently, and the only workable
> solution I was able to find was a triangulated surface.

Yes, I think a common approach is to use Delaunay triangulation to
associate the desired x,y positions for which z is desired with
existing triplets of x,y,z values and perform interpolation on those.
At least that's the way I did it many years ago. So, is there a
Delaunay module in scipy?
None that I could see, but I do see on on cheeseshop.python.org (Delny
0.1.0a2). What did you (Grant) use?

Perry