[SciPy-user] 2D interpolation from a set of irregularly spaced positions in python?

zunzun at zunzun.com zunzun at zunzun.com
Tue Jul 19 16:58:10 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 04:35:51PM +0200, Eric Emsellem wrote:

> Now for a new position Xnew, Ynew I would like to get the *interpolated*
> Znew value, and if possible trying different schemes such as "bilinear",
> "cubic", etc... I also would like to know if my point is EXTRApolated or
> not so I can decide what to do (either take the extrapolated value or
> exclude it).

You might consider curvefitting the data and using the fitted function
to calculate interpolated values.  Plotting the points against the
data used in curvefitting would be one way to determine if the value was
extrapolated or not.

To find a good function, try the 3D function finder on my curve and
surface fitting web site, http://zunzun.com - I'll be glad to help
you if you're interested in this route as a solution.  I use SciPy
for the site's fitting, both linear and nonlinear functions.

     James Phillips
     http://zunzun.com