[SciPy-user] Re: Enthought python

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jul 20 11:25:12 CDT 2005

Ryan Krauss wrote:
> Fernando's suggestion works quite well and I can run mayavi and
> matplotlib in the same session with the TkAgg backend.  I was using the
> WXAgg backend as my default for matplotlib because the TkAgg seems to
> chew up a lot more ram (I am running Windows XP) and is slightly slower
> when calling show().

You can TRY the following:

ipython -pylab -tk

with the WXAgg backend.  I doubt it will work, as the only person to ever
report it working is Prabhu, and I'm 50/50 on whether it's debian's good
threading lib support, or some dark powers granted to him by the python gods
for having written mayavi.

In Fedora, this always causes a crash, but in the odd chance it might work for
WinXP, this would solve your problems and let you keep WX.

If not, stick to TkAgg and be happy :)

Cheers,