[SciPy-user] Re: Enthought python

Ryan Krauss ryanfedora at comcast.net
Wed Jul 20 14:13:21 CDT 2005

(I am resubmitting this without HTML for the sake of cleaner archives.  I have scipy-users in my address book as preferring plain-text, but apparently having Alan Isaac listed as the first recipient screwed this up.  I am developing a reputation for being an HTML posting stooge.)

Steps for installing mayavi (with Python interactivity) in Windows XP and
compatible with matplotlib

I am starting with a computer that does not have a Python installation, so I
will completely document everything I do.
Assumptions (initial steps)
1. Python 2.3.5 is installed
2. Numeric is installed (I am using 23.8 from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1369)
3. SciPy 0.3.2 is installed (SciPy_complete-0.3.2-win32-py2.3-num23.5.exe or P4
or PIII binary from www.scipy.org/download
4. Ipython is installed (I am using 0.5.16.win32.exe from ipython.scipy.org/dist
5. matplotlib is installed (I am using 0.83.1 from
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/ following the download link on the left hand
side ->
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706&package_id=82474&release_id=340606)

Mayavi specific installation
1. Download VTK-Python-4.4.zip from http://mayavi.sourceforge.net/dwnld/vtk/win32/
2. Unzip VTK-Python-4.4.zip into C:\Python23
3. Added C:\Python23\Scripts to you windows path variable
4. There is a file in C:\Python\Scripts that appears to be incorrectly named:
vtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets1.dll
rename it by deleting the 1 (i.e. vtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.dll)
5. Download the mayavi source tarball and unzip it anywhere (Download
MayaVi-1.4.tar.gz
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mayavi/MayaVi-1.4.tar.gz?download> from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=27020&release_id=301941)
6. open a command prompt in the directory where you unzipped the mayavi source
and type "python setup.py install"  (assuming C:\python23 is in your windows path)
7.  You will probably also want pyVTK to generate date in vtk formats:
http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/pyvtk/ download, unzip the tarball and run python
setup.py install
8.  If you want to use matplotlib and mayavi in the same session, you must set
you matplotlibrc file to use the TkAgg backend (unless you are running Debian)
9.  Launch Ipython with the -pylab or -tk flags (or both on Debian)
10. Run that attached scripts from within Ipython for testing.

You should be in business.  Attached are two test scripts stolen from the online
mayavi manual.  maya_datagen uses pyvtk to create a data file called test.vtk.
maya_vis uses mayavi to visualize the data in test.vtk.

If someone else running win32 could try these and reply to the list that would
be great.  It would be great to post instructions tested by more than just me.

Ryan