[SciPy-user] scipy for win32 and python2.4 - howto ...

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Wed Jul 20 18:53:01 CDT 2005

Hi,
I was ready to build scipy for windows with python2.4 ...
I have got the (now free!) Microsoft compiler VC7. I have been using it for a
month or so on a couple of projects. I did the necessary tweaking for
distutil.
BUT:
 1) before I can even start: "setup.py build" complains about many things nor
being available:
  1a) I think I can ignore fftw - for now ...
  1b) I downloaded the ATLAS source - but that seems to be "tricky"  (seems to
be meant more for linux)  ==> I thought for the py24 build one should be able
to just reuse whatever was done for py23 - ATLAS and LAPACK and BLAS -
right ?     Can someone make those available ?
  1c) f2py ... is that available as binary ?

2) Really I'm mostly (only) in need of the plt module (for now).  Is there an
easier way in this  case ?

I read that the free (optimizing!) MS compiler is now generally preferred over
the cygwin/mingw solution - supposedly better performance...
Further info is here ("Python 2.4 Extensions w/ the MS Toolkit Compiler"
http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/)

Thanks,
Sebastian Haase