[SciPy-user] ANN: Veusz 0.7 - a scientific plotting package

Jeremy Sanders jeremy at jeremysanders.net
Sat Jul 23 12:45:01 CDT 2005

Veusz 0.7
---------
Velvet Ember Under Sky Zenith
-----------------------------
http://home.gna.org/veusz/

Veusz is Copyright (C) 2003-2005 Jeremy Sanders <jeremy at jeremysanders.net>
Licenced under the GPL (version 2 or greater)

Veusz is a scientific plotting package written in Python (currently
100% Python). It uses PyQt for display and user-interfaces, and
numarray for handling the numeric data. Veusz is designed to produce
publication-ready Postscript output.

Veusz provides a GUI, command line and scripting interface (based on
Python) to its plotting facilities. The plots are built using an
object-based system to provide a consistent interface.

Changes from 0.6:
  Please refer to ChangeLog for all the changes.
  Highlights include:
   * 2D image support
   * FITS file data import (1D + 2D) with PyFITS module
   * Support for line separated blocks of data when importing
   * Reversed axes supported
   * Key length option
   * Linked dataset reload UI
   * Plot functions over specific range
   * Several UI improvements

Features of package:
  * X-Y plots (with errorbars)
  * Images (with colour mappings)
  * Stepped plots (for histograms)
  * Line plots
  * Function plots
  * Fitting functions to data
  * Stacked plots and arrays of plots
  * Plot keys
  * Plot labels
  * LaTeX-like formatting for text
  * EPS output
  * Simple data importing
  * Scripting interface
  * Save/Load plots
  * Dataset manipulation
  * Embed Veusz within other programs

To be done:
  * Contour plots
  * UI improvements
  * Import filters (for qdp and other plotting packages, fits, csv)

Requirements:
  Python (probably 2.3 or greater required)
    http://www.python.org/
  Qt (free edition)
    http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/
  PyQt (SIP is required to be installed first)
    http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/
    http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/sip/
  numarray
    http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/numarray
  Microsoft Core Fonts (recommended)
    http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/
  PyFITS (optional)
    http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/pyfits

For documentation on using Veusz, see the "Documents" directory. The
manual is in pdf, html and text format (generated from docbook).

If you enjoy using Veusz, I would love to hear from you. Please join
the mailing lists at

https://gna.org/mail/?group=veusz

to discuss new features or if you'd like to contribute code. The
newest code can always be found in CVS.

If non GPL projects are interested in using Veusz code, please contact
me. I am happy to consider relicencing code for other free projects,
if I am legally allowed to do so.

Cheers

Jeremy