[SciPy-user] Re: WxPyPlot

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Mon Jul 25 13:26:22 CDT 2005

Hi Simon,
I actually don't know what a 'stripchart' is; but in case it is what a EKG
looks like then that's what I do: The right edge of my plot is alway "now"
the left is "3h ago" and the graphs are shifting to the left as goes on and
new data gets appended to the right.
I only measure twice a minute ! But I understand that wxPyPlot should easily
handle twice a second. The ugly part it in my code is the copying data for
implementing the "shifting" - I suppose there is no nice "circular-array"
thingy in numerical python: but this is only 5 lines of code anyway ...
My whole module including setting up the window frame is not more then 100
lines!
What are you data sources: Some custom hardware/C-code or does it come over
the network, ... ?  Generally wx-people say stay with 'events' and don't use
threads just because "It looks like you could use threads for this" !!

I would be curious if matplotlib could update twice a second. Because
sometimes I actually would like to interact with the plots (like zooming and
panning) and also nice plots would be  great.
WxPyPlot allows zooming and screenshots for printing is so far acceptable to
us.

Cheers,
Sebastian Haase
UCSF

(Please note I cc'ed the list, because I always hope for other's
comments ...)