[SciPy-user] 2D Interpolation

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Mon Jun 6 14:03:25 CDT 2005

No one seems to have responded, so I'll try:

> I'm trying to interpolate a variable over a plane.  I have a
> reasonably small number of points (approx. 4 to 10) and I'm looking
> for a way to interpolate these points over a region.

That's a really small number of points.  You probably can't do better
than a simple bilinear interpolation.   Spline interpolations have known
odd behavior;  among other things, an interpolant of monotonic data is
not guaranteed to be monotonic.  Global polynomial fits have similar
problems.  For an extensive discussion of interpolation in one
dimension, see chapter 4 of Kahaner, Moler, and Nash, "Numerical Methods
and Software".