[SciPy-user] 2D Interpolation

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Mon Jun 6 17:25:34 CDT 2005

Alan G Isaac wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005, Stephen Walton apparently wrote:
>

>>For an extensive discussion of interpolation in one
>>dimension, see chapter 4 of Kahaner, Moler, and Nash, "Numerical Methods
>>and Software".
>>

>Is that substantially different from
>http://www.mathworks.com/moler/interp.pdf ?

Well, the overall approach is similar, of course, but I'd say the
Kahaner, Moler and Nash book is a bit heavier on theory, and also
predates MATLAB so the ideas aren't illustrated with MATLAB scripts.
Still, Figure 3.8 of the above document nicely illustrates what can go
wrong with spline interpolation.