[SciPy-user] Installing SciPy on Mac OS X Tiger

Zhiwen Chong zhiwen.chong at elf.mcgill.ca
Wed Jun 8 17:10:43 CDT 2005

Hi,

On 8-Jun-05, at 5:04 PM, Robert Kern wrote:
> /usr/lib/libcc_dynamic.a should be a symbolic link to /usr/lib/gcc/
> darwin/default/libgcc.a . Can you check both of these paths?

No problems there.

> When did you download g77 from hpc.sourceforge.net? I am
> successfully using one downloaded today.

I downloaded my copy a last week.

> CVS builds fine for me. I know that I've fiddled with the OS X
> linking since the last release, so you will want to use CVS.

I took your advice and checked out a CVS copy and downloaded hpc's
g77 again just now. It builds okay now!

When I ran scipy.test(), it reported "no test file found" for many of
the modules, but as far as actual failures go, there was only one
(out of 1174):

     FAIL: check_round (scipy.special.basic.test_basic.test_round)

     Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/scipy/special/tests/test_basic.py", line
1789, in check_round
         assert_array_equal(rnd,rndrl)
       File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/scipy_test/testing.py", line 715, in
assert_array_equal
         assert cond,\
     AssertionError:
     Arrays are not equal (mismatch 25.0%):
             Array 1: [10 10 10 11]
             Array 2: [10 10 11 11]

I take it that's normal on OS X?

At any rate, I'm happy it builds. Thanks!

Zhiwen