[SciPy-user] special.round(10.5) [was: Installing SciPy on Mac OS X Tiger]

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 14 16:47:29 CDT 2005

Robert Kern wrote:

>>What should we do here?
>

> Figure out why cephes' round doesn't behave as documented on your machine.
>
> In [1]: scipy.special.round?
> Type:           ufunc
> String Form:    <ufunc 'round'>
> Namespace:      Interactive
> Docstring:
>      y=Returns the nearest integer to x as a double precision
>      floating point result.  If x ends in 0.5 exactly, the
>      nearest even integer is chosen.
>
> Can you compile the attached C program and give the results (you might
> need -lm to link)? On my Mac, I get:
>
> [~] kern$ ./testround
> 10.4 -> 10
> 10.5 -> 10
> 10.6 -> 11
> 11.4 -> 11
> 11.5 -> 12
> 11.6 -> 12

calderon[round]> gcc -lm testround.c -o testround
calderon[round]> ./testround
10.4 -> 10
10.5 -> 10
10.6 -> 11
11.4 -> 11
11.5 -> 12
11.6 -> 12

Same as on yours...

This is gcc on my box:

calderon[round]> gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.3 20050227 (Red Hat 3.4.3-22.fc3)

Well, I'll live with that failure for now.  I just had a hard disk die,
so I'm going to have to deal with that.

BTW, if you have any complaints on my patch from this morning, let me
know.  Otherwise, I can commit all that later.  I also fixed all the
spurious gcc warnings which were being caused by blitz/array.h showing
up before Python.h in the weave-generated sources.  At python-dev, they
pointed me to the refs where they sternly warn against any header
pulling in system headers before Python.h.  I fixed the weave
header-generation code and also fastumath.c by hand to avoid this.

If you're OK, I can commit all that later.

Cheers,