[SciPy-user] Python 2.4 Win32 Binaries?

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Mar 21 18:36:16 CST 2005

Matthew Bogosian wrote:

> This may have been asked before, but I haven't been able to find a
> recent reference in the mailing lists.
>
> From the installation documentation, under "Building SciPy under MS
> Windows":
>
>> Building Scipy is easy --- that is, provided that you have all
>> required software installed properly.
>

> This may very well be true, but properly installing all the required
> software is anything but. I know that Python 2.4 has been out for
> quite some time. Numeric is up to 23.8 now. If building SciPy is so
> easy, is there a reason why 2.4 (and more recent Numeric) binaries are
> not available?

The reason:  lack of willing helpers.

Nobody has stepped up to do it.  I, for example, don't use Windows
regularly, and I'm involved in the numarray-Numeric reunification
project right now.   Not to mention, my main Python platform is still 2.3

For me, building on Windows is a pain to set up (because of Windows not
scipy).  Enthought delivers an Enthon edition which helps -- but I don't
think they are using Python 2.4 yet.

Those of you who use Windows regularly and are using Python 2.4 should
really be building the binaries.

-Travis