[SciPy-user] Units in SciPy

Duncan Child duncan at enthought.com
Wed Mar 30 16:15:18 CST 2005

Hi all,

We have been using the units package written by Michael Aivaziz which is
available here:

http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/projects/pyre/
http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/projects/pyre/epydoc/public/pyre.units-module.html

One potential issue is that a units package has to guess whether the
user wants to convert a temperature gradient or a temperature:

1Celsius = 1Kelvin    (gradient)
1Celsius = 274.15Kelvin (absolute)

For a proprietary project Enthought reworked Michael's package to assume
temperatures are absolute. This is maybe less surprising to a regular
user but was tantamount to forking Michael's project. It also leaves the
inherent ambiguity unresolved. If we put Mike's work into scipy we would
probably want to use it unchanged.

So my questions are:

1) any interest out there in us putting a units package into scipy?
2) any preference for a particular implementation? Unum, etc.
3) does anyone have input or suggestions regarding the temperature issue?

Thanks,

Duncan