[SciPy-user] arr.type() becomes arr.dtype - BOTH in scipyCore AND numarray !?

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Fri Nov 4 13:58:42 CST 2005

Hi,
I'm really excited about the progress of scipy - great work, Travis !
Also I always need to thank Todd et al. for numarray which we are using for
about 4 years now.

I was following - I thought - all the postings here, but I don't remember when
and what the reason was when a.type() changed  to a.dtype (also there is a
"dtypecode" somewhere !?). Any reference or explanation would be great.
I have to say that the (old) parenthesis where always quite "annoying" ! ;-)

Question: does the way allow assignments like "a.dtype = Float32".
What does it do ? If not, is it raising an error (I had 2 different people
yesterday who tried to assign to a.type here in our lab ...)

Also is this now completely supported/tested and suggested for numarray ? (For
the time numarray is still separate)

Thanks again to everybody,
Sebastian Haase
UCSF, Sedat Lab