[SciPy-user] One step closer to a scipy matlab/mathematica/mathcad replacement?

lanceboyle@bluebottle.com lanceboyle at bluebottle.com
Tue Nov 8 03:51:58 CST 2005

This would be a way noble project. Didn't someone else just post here
a few days ago about combining a symbolic package and TeX with
Python? If that wasn't you, are you guys communicating?

The Matlab symbolics module is Maple, apparently Maple 8. (Maple
itself is currently at v10). www.maplesoft.com

A more appropriate (IMO) target is Maple itself, since it (I suppose)
more elegantly integrates symbolics, numerics, and document
preparation into a single, _very_ deep program. And its programming
language is more like a real language than Matlab's pathos. (All
these remarks by a Maple newbie.) But the sadness of Maple is that it
now runs its cross-platform interface on Java. As as Mac human
interface Nazis, that's bad news to me. But Maple is an awesome
program and in terms of its current interface (Java warts
notwithstanding) it makes Mathematica look like 1986 (which it is) in
terms of interface.

There are two programs that bear attention from someone making
progress in this area. Both are real, "grown-up" programs, both have
been around since the late 1980s, both are still available and
actively marketed, both are very reasonably priced, and both have
fully-functioning demos, I think.

LiveMath Maker was formerly known as Theorist. Its interface lets you
drag parts of expressions around and does all the symbolics and
plotting that most people could want. For some odd reason it is
marketed as a tool for high school and college students, but I've
used it for years for some very extensive stuff. www.livemath.com
This company also makes a killer equation setter that for 15 years
has made most others look like pikers. Their programs are a little
rusty around the edges (no Quartz drawing for Macintosh LiveMath
Maker, for example).

The other program is Igor Pro www.wavemetrics.com. It is strictly
numeric but has a stunningly capable interface for organizing huge
projects and manipulating data as well as document production.

I would love to see the best features of Maple, LiveMath Maker, and
Igor Pro combined into one coherent package with Python
underpinnings. It seems like all of the pieces are already available
as open source and are awaiting someone to take on the large task of
making them play together. BTW, what is the state of affairs on Chaco?

Lance