[SciPy-user] random number sampling performance in newcore

Chris Fonnesbeck fonnesbeck at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 10:20:44 CST 2005

I was surprised to find that the random number sampler in newcore is
significantly slower than RandomArray in Numeric (at least for
binomial sampling). A quick comparison showed the
scipy.basic.random.binomial sampler to be over 8 times slower than
RandomArray.binomial. I was surprised, since the newcore stuff is
Pyrex-based (isnt it?). Am I the only one observing such differences,
or am I using the wrong method? If not, is the performance expected to
improve significantly.

Thanks,
C.

--