[SciPy-user] Scipy, FC4 and g77

Rick Muller rmuller at sandia.gov
Sat Nov 12 07:42:28 CST 2005

I'm increasingly frustrated by the difficulties in building Scipy on
FC4. I've gotten a lot of very useful help from members of this list,
but I still do not have a working version of the entire program. This
has kept me from moving my software (PyQuante, a python quantum
chemistry suite) from Numpy to Scipy, despite all of the nice goodies
that Scipy offers.

Is is possible to build g77 on top of gcc4? gfortran doesn't compile
a lot of the projects here at Sandia that used to work with g77, and
I'm concerned about waiting for gfortran to get up to speed. If the
g77 code just needs an official maintainer/bug fixer, I'm sure I can
find someone to do this. However, if there is a more substantial
reason why the code can't be built, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Apologies for asking this question here, rather than on a GCC list.
This is a relatively friendly forum, and since I figure people here
are struggling with the same issues, I hope that I'd get a more
useful answer here than on some GCC list.

R.

Rick Muller
rmuller at sandia.gov