[SciPy-user] efficiently importing ascii data

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Sat Nov 12 16:37:23 CST 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Darren Dale apparently wrote:
> I'm reading arrays of data from an ascii file and
> converting to appropriate numerical types. The data files
> can get pretty big, I was wondering if someone here might
> have a suggestion on how to speed things up.

This is a common request on the SciPy Users list.
I asked Mike Miller to consider releasing TableIO
http://php.iupui.edu/~mmiller3/python/
under a more Pythonic license so that SciPy could use it.
He initially sounded willing, but he never actually sent
a message releasing the code under another license.  Nor did
he say that he was ultimately unwilling to do so.
If you can work with GPL'd code, you might try TableIO.
I'll bcc: him on this to see if he has decided.

fwiw,
Alan Isaac