[SciPy-user] distutils help

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Nov 17 13:19:16 CST 2005

Ryan Krauss wrote:
> I am trying to package my Python+Maxima+Latex symbolic stuff and I am
> having trouble understanding the distutils documentation.  I want to
> include a README.txt file that will be there when you unzip the source
> distribution.  As I understand the distutils documentation this should
> be a data_file.  Here is my setup.py script that isn't working:

The easiest solution is to use a proper MANIFEST.in file which lists what you
want/don't want included, and make sure that your setup always wipes out the
actual MANIFEST file (otherwise distutils doesn't update correctly).  The
scipy setup is extremely complex and not the best to learn from for simple
tasks (its complexity is necessary, given what it's trying to do).  I'd
recommend that you have a look at  ipython's setup file, which while being
non-trivial is a lot easier to understand, and it handles things like what you
are asking.  I'll be happy to answer questions you may have about it.

Cheers,