[SciPy-user] Multiple versions of functions ?

Gary pajer at iname.com
Mon Nov 21 17:11:20 CST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>

>>Just starting to explore new scipy core.
>>
>>I'm seeing different versions of the same function.  I've seen this
>>before, but I never bothered about it given that I had Numeric, and then
>>scipy duplicating some of the functionality of Numeric.  But now I'm
>>wondering what's up.
>>
>>example1:
>>scipy.exp and scipy.special.exp appear to be different.  At least their
>>representations and doc strings are.  No big deal, but why two versions?
>>

>These are the same on my system.

>136079568
>136079568
>

>>example2:
>>scipy.ifft  returns a ndarray but
>>scipy.fftpack.ifft  returns an old fashioned Numeric array (if I'm not
>>mistaken).
>>

>These are also the same on my system.

>1129116820
>1129116820
>
>Perhaps you may have an installation issue.

Yes, that's it.  I tried to install from ground zero, and I begin to
realize I don't quite understand the organization ...

WinXP.  I wiped out my site-packages/scipy, but left scipy_base,
scipy_distutils, scipy_test.  (are they still valid in the "new scipy" ?)
Grabbed the current SVN, and compiled using mingw  (without ATLAS) using

python setup.py config --compiler=mingw32 build --compiler=mingw32 install

No errors, and scipy.fft and scipy.fftpack.fft point to the same
function.  Progress.

scipy.exp exists, but there doesn't seem to be scipy.special.  (i.e.,
import scipy.special returns "no such module")
This must come from some other part of scipy.

So two questions, a specific and a general.

The specific:  what do I do to get the rest of scipy (assuming my
interpretation is correct)?

The general:  help me out with the general organization.  Here's my
understanding:  Part of "new scipy" replaces Numeric.  What exactly is
this part called?
A different part of "new scipy" are the features built on top of the
Numeric replacement.  (apparantly scipy.special is one of these, but
scipy.fftpack is not)  Are these distinguished by their location in the
heirarchy?  Where are they found?  How are they installed?  Am I making
sense?

And apologies for very basic questions.

-gary