[SciPy-user] Multiple versions of functions ?

Gary pajer at iname.com
Mon Nov 21 17:37:39 CST 2005

Gary wrote:

>Travis Oliphant wrote:
>

>>Gary wrote:
>>

>>>Just starting to explore new scipy core.
>>>
>>>I'm seeing different versions of the same function.  I've seen this

[...]

>>Perhaps you may have an installation issue.
>>

>Yes, that's it.  I tried to install from ground zero, and I begin to
>realize I don't quite understand the organization ...
>
>WinXP.  I wiped out my site-packages/scipy, but left scipy_base,
>scipy_distutils, scipy_test.  (are they still valid in the "new scipy" ?)
>Grabbed the current SVN, and compiled using mingw  (without ATLAS) using
>
>python setup.py config --compiler=mingw32 build --compiler=mingw32 install
>
>No errors, and scipy.fft and scipy.fftpack.fft point to the same
>function.  Progress.
>
>scipy.exp exists, but there doesn't seem to be scipy.special.  (i.e.,
>import scipy.special returns "no such module")
>This must come from some other part of scipy.
>
>So two questions, a specific and a general.
>
>The specific:  what do I do to get the rest of scipy (assuming my
>interpretation is correct)?
>
>The general:  help me out with the general organization.  Here's my
>understanding:  Part of "new scipy" replaces Numeric.  What exactly is
>this part called?
>A different part of "new scipy" are the features built on top of the
>Numeric replacement.  (apparantly scipy.special is one of these, but
>scipy.fftpack is not)  Are these distinguished by their location in the
>heirarchy?  Where are they found?  How are they installed?  Am I making
>sense?
>
>And apologies for very basic questions.
>
>-gary

I finally took a peek at scipy.org, and found a little enlightenment.
Sorry about the noise
I wiped out everything scipy from site-packages (renamed, actually)
Installed scipy core from the Windows installer on sf.net
Then compiled/installed scipy from svn as above.

Upon import scipy, python crashes with a "do you want to send an error
report" window.
I'm still using python 2.3.   Could that be it?

-g