[SciPy-user] python+maxima+latex for symbolic stuff

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 07:22:56 CST 2005

It does look pretty nice.  I like wxMaxima as well for interactive use.

The primary motivation for what I have done is LaTeX integration.  I
found that everytime I learned a new algebra program, I had to learn
how to output to a text file and make a decent LaTeX file.  When I do
something symbolically, I want to be able to add explanations and then
I want to be able to include the derivation in my thesis or a paper.

I had something working fairly well using the symbolic toolbox of
Matlab, but I found that my matlab files contained more LaTeX code
than matlab code and it was tedious to have to use special commands to
send all the LaTeX code to my output file.  So, when I decided I
wanted to get away from Matlab and use an open-source algebra program,
I decided I would use LaTeX as my input language.

Ryan