[SciPy-user] is scipy OK for my needs?

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 10:47:57 CST 2005

The author of matplotlib is a ubuntu users, which is a debian
derivative.  His name is John Hunter and he had mentioned the
following in a previous scipy post:
===================================
For the standard matplotlib package, add these lines to your
/etc/apt/sources.list:

 deb http://anakonda.altervista.org/debian packages/
 deb-src http://anakonda.altervista.org/debian sources/

and then run:

 > sudo apt-get update
 > sudo apt-get install python-matplotlib python-matplotlib-doc

These are all professional debian packages and most of them are a
little out of date.

If you like to live on the bleeding edge, you can use my poor man's
Ubuntu Hoary packages (I've been told they also work for Breezy) which
have matplotlib 0.84, ipython-0.6.16.cvs and scipy 3.3.304.4617.  You
need to enable universe and multiverse in /etc/apt/sources.list and
then add

deb http://peds-pc311.bsd.uchicago.edu binary/

If you already have scipy working, installing matplotlib from source
is pretty simple.  Download the tarball from the matplotlib page,
unzip it and do:
sudo python setup.py install

The only catch is that it depends on many of the gui development
packages to make the different gui renders.  So, you need to install
gnome-dev, GTK2-dev and Tk Tcl dev and so on.

Ryan