[SciPy-user] Building scipy without fortran compiler on Windows using MSVC C++ Toolkit compiler

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Sun Oct 2 22:16:22 CDT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to get scipy compiled for Python 2.4 on Windows using the
free (but not open source) MSVC C++ Toolkit compiler. (Setup of this
compiler is detailed here: http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/ )

I'm trying to use the MSVC C++ Toolkit compiler because I've got a hunk
of other (C++) code compiled with it. (Although perhaps mingw will link
fine to that code -- anyone know?)

So far, setup.py fails when it can't find f77.  I remember talk about
making scipy easy to install and specifically not requiring a fortran
compiler, at least for a minimal install.  Is this possible today? I'm
talking about the "traditional" scipy (with Numeric) here, not newcore.
In particular I'd like to use scipy.sparse.

Here are notes on what I've done:

(Using Tortoise SVN) checked out http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk
into "scipy".
cd scipy
mkdir scipy_core
(Using Tortoise SVN) checked out
http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy_core/trunk into "scipy_core"
cd .. (now back in scipy)

As described in http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildscipywin32.txt
installed ATLAS into C:\atlas\3.6.0\P4SSE2 (downloaded from
http://www.scipy.org/download/atlasbinaries/winnt/ )

Set BLAS=c:\atlas\3.6.0\P4SSE2\libf77blas.a
Set LAPACK=c:\atlas\3.6.0\P4SSE2\liblapack.a

python setup.py install (multiple times -- it kept complaining about no
permissions in C:\windows\temp\*, but running again seemed to fix the
problem.)

python setup.py install
[snipped lots of stuff here which looked OK]
running build_clib
No module named msvccompiler in scipy_distutils, trying from distutils..
customize MSVCCompiler
customize MSVCCompiler using build_clib
0
Could not locate executable g77
Could not locate executable f77
customize GnuFCompiler
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable ifort
Could not locate executable ifc
Could not locate executable efort
Could not locate executable efc
Could not locate executable ifort
MSVCCompiler instance has no attribute 'lib'
customize AbsoftFCompiler
Could not locate executable f90
Executable f90 does not exist
MSVCCompiler instance has no attribute 'lib'
Could not locate executable ifort
Could not locate executable ifc
Could not locate executable efort
Could not locate executable efc
Could not locate executable ifort
MSVCCompiler instance has no attribute 'lib'
customize G95FCompiler
Could not locate executable g95
Executable g95 does not exist
customize GnuFCompiler
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
customize GnuFCompiler
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
customize GnuFCompiler using build_clib
building 'mach' library
compiling Fortran sources
f77(f77) options: '-Wall -fno-second-underscore -O2 -funroll-loops'
compile options: '-c'
f77:f77: Lib\special\mach\d1mach.f
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist

error: Command "f77 -Wall -fno-second-underscore -O2 -funroll-loops -c
-c Lib\sp
ecial\mach\d1mach.f -o build\temp.win32-2.4\Lib\special\mach\d1mach.o"
failed wi
th exit status 1