[SciPy-user] pyfits bug: SIMPLE mis-formatted

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Mon Oct 3 10:59:23 CDT 2005

We are using pyfits 0.9.8.2 to create some FITS files and they end up
with SIMPLE = T formatted as "free format". This technically violates
the standard, which insists of fixed format -- though it surprises me
that any fits reading software would care about such a violation.

Somebody else trying to read the same files with pyfits (I'm guessing an
earlier version, but I don't have any details yet other than "it was on
solaris") was getting this error:
"Cannot read file: mandatory keywords are not fixed format"

I hope you will consider fixing the error in formatting, trivial though
it is.

Also, if modern pyfits still does care about fixed format for the
mandatory keywords, I hope you'll change that. But I doubt it's still an
issue. Other pyfits users can read the files just fine.

-- Russell