[SciPy-user] Install of scipy core for current scipy users

Gary pajer at iname.com
Thu Oct 6 10:56:12 CDT 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> If you are a current user of scipy and want to try out the new scipy
> core.  You can do so.
>
> However, the default install will change four __init__.py files on
> your system (which will probably "break" the rest of scipy).
>
> Hopefully we will get scipy as a whole to work with the new system
> shortly.   There has also been talk of putting together a simple
> install to fixup the __init__ files so that old scipy and new
> scipy_core can live together peacefully (anyone who can help with that
> is welcomed).
>

> scipy\__init__.py
> scipy\linalg\__init__.py
> scipy\fftpack\__init__.py
> scipy\stats\__init__.py
>
> are the affected files.
>
> The ones from scipy can just be copied back, but then you won't get
> the functions from new scipy.
>
> -Travis

I anxious to try scipy core, but I don't want my system to stop working,
either.  So let's see if I understand:

Current:   WinXP,   python 2.3

I would:
- upgrade to python 2.4
- rename the four files above (to save them, just in case ?)
- install scipy core
- make the necessary changes to my sources

Third-party apps that depend on scipy, and whose sources have not been
updated, will break.

Numeric and numarray won't be touched, so apps that use only them (and
no scipy)  won't know the difference (VPython in particular)

Anyone know if matplotlib would break?   (I've asked on that list, too.)

Anyone know which, if any, apps would break?  (Mayavi,  etc ?)

-gary