[SciPy-user] Install of scipy core for current scipy users

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Oct 6 11:50:09 CDT 2005

Gary wrote:

>Travis Oliphant wrote:
>

>>If you are a current user of scipy and want to try out the new scipy
>>core.  You can do so.
>>
>>However, the default install will change four __init__.py files on
>>your system (which will probably "break" the rest of scipy).
>>
>>Hopefully we will get scipy as a whole to work with the new system
>>shortly.   There has also been talk of putting together a simple
>>install to fixup the __init__ files so that old scipy and new
>>scipy_core can live together peacefully (anyone who can help with that
>>is welcomed).
>>

>>scipy\__init__.py
>>scipy\linalg\__init__.py
>>scipy\fftpack\__init__.py
>>scipy\stats\__init__.py
>>
>>are the affected files.
>>
>>The ones from scipy can just be copied back, but then you won't get
>>the functions from new scipy.
>>
>>-Travis
>>

>I anxious to try scipy core, but I don't want my system to stop working,
>either.  So let's see if I understand:
>
>Current:   WinXP,   python 2.3
>
>I would:
>- upgrade to python 2.4
>- rename the four files above (to save them, just in case ?)
>- install scipy core
>- make the necessary changes to my sources
>
>Third-party apps that depend on scipy, and whose sources have not been
>updated, will break.

What I'm doing is running new scipy on Python 2.4  and old scipy on
Python 2.3 --- then my SciPy installs don't conflict with each other at all.

>Numeric and numarray won't be touched, so apps that use only them (and
>no scipy)  won't know the difference (VPython in particular)

Yes, that's correct.  The only problem might be if you have an old
(<Numeric 24.0 or numarray < 1.3?) version then these might get confused
by the new scipy array object.   The newer versions of those packages
understand the array interface.

>Anyone know if matplotlib would break?   (I've asked on that list, too.)

No, it won't break.  But, unless your Numeric is high-enough, it won't
understand your scipy core arrays, either.

>Anyone know which, if any, apps would break?  (Mayavi,  etc ?)

Again, nothing should "break" except scipy itself  (for the time
being...)  Worst case is that the apps won't understand the scipy array
(except through the generic Python sequence interface)...

-Travis