[SciPy-user] [SciPy-dev] Re: [Numpy-discussion] Purchasing Documentation

Bill Dandreta wjdandreta at att.net
Thu Oct 6 12:56:34 CDT 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:

>And I certainly don't want "lack of free documentation" to hamper
>adoption of scipy core.   So, it benefits everybody to have free version
>available.
>
>It would be great if somebody could at least post the pydoc output for
>the core.  That is a good start.  I'll add basic C-API calls to free
>documentation and we'll be ready to go.

I have a couple of suggestions.

I think scipy would benefit from a book like the "Python CookBook". Most
scipy users are not programmers and having a lot of sample code would
make scipy easier to learn and use.

The way the "Python CookBook" was created is the editors requested
submission of code snippets doing common programming tasks. The editors
selected the best ones and put them in a book. The editors of a scipy
cookbook would not necessarily have to be the scipy developers but
should be scipy experts.

You might want to consider distributing your commercial documentation on
a CD that includes all the free documentation as well as scipy and
dependencies that all work together.

Bill