[SciPy-user] mat file problem in linux

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Oct 14 16:02:14 CDT 2005

Ryan Krauss wrote:

> I do have one ipython question that came up while trying to run my
> code: I found the command "ipython -pylab -p scipy" in my in my bash
> history.  If I use that to start ipython, my code runs fine.  If I
> leave off the -p scipy flag I get another problem with the *.mat file:

> What does the -p scipy command line argument do?  (I must have found
> it somewhere but haven't been able to find it using google).  And why
> does it save me from the error with the *.mat file?  Both start up
> methods lead to the same version of scipy being loaded:

ipython -p foo

tells ipython to load the foo profile, which is a shorthand for saying "use
the file ~/.ipython/ipythonrc-foo as your initialization file instead of
~/.ipython/ipythonrc".

Since ipython config files can include one another, profiles typically are
small extensions to your default config (so you always get the same colors,
prompts, etc.) which tweak a few things.  Have a look at
~/.ipython/ipythonrc-scipy and see what it does that may be changing things
for you.

Cheers,