[SciPy-user] SciPy on OS X installation problem: ImportError: No module named scipy_distutils

Michael Williams williams at thphys.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 23 08:02:22 CDT 2005

Hi,

I'd like to install SciPy on OS X. I'm following a combination of the
instructions on these two pages:

     http://www.physics.ucf.edu/~mdj/MacpythonScipyGnuplot.html
     http://www.scipy.org/documentation/Members/fonnesbeck/osx_build.txt

I'm running OS X 10.4 and have previously upgraded from Tiger's stock
Python 2.3.5 to Python 2.4.1 using Bob Ippolito's MacPython installer:

     http://bob.pythonmac.org/archives/2005/03/31/macpython-241-
installer/

Most of the steps described on the two guides work as advertised.
However, I had a warning while building FFTW (described below), and a
show-stopping failure in SciPy's setup.py build.

I checked SciPy out from SVN around twelve hours ago. When building I
get the following error:

> ~/Desktop/scipy mike$ python setup.py build
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 47, in ?
>     import scipy_distutils
> ImportError: No module named scipy_distutils

 From Googling, I understand the scipy_distutils module comes with
F2PY. I've double checked my installation of this package, and I'm
sure it's there (it's in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/f2py2e, as expected). The
version of F2PY I've installed is 2.45.241_1926.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try an earlier version of
SciPy?

By the way, as mentioned above, when I ran ./configure on FFTW I got
the following warning:

checking for Fortran 77 libraries...  -lcrt1.o -lcrt2.o -L/usr/local/
lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0/3.4.4 -L/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-
apple-darwin7.9.0/3.4.4/../../.. -lfrtbegin -lg2c -lgcc_s -lSystem
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... unknown
configure: WARNING: *** Couldn't figure out how to link C and
Fortran; switching to --disable-fortran.

FFTW went on to compile and install without further problems. I don't
think this is related to SciPy's failure to build, but I describe it
on the off chance that it's related, or anyone knows how to fix it,
or whether it even needs fixing.

Thanks for reading this far,
--
Mike Williams
Theoretical Physics, University of Oxford