[SciPy-user] subversion and installation instructions?

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Tue Sep 6 17:29:31 CDT 2005

Giovanni Samaey wrote:

> I have tried to install scipy on ournew university-wide cluster, but I
> am unsure as to whether the install was completely successful.

Coming back to this after an absence to do some other things:  I believe
that, at present, it is still not possible to build scipy from the SVN
archive on a machine on which scipy was never before installed.  If I do
'rm -rf scipy* weave gui_thread' in /usr/lib/python2.4, and then try:

svn co http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk scipy
cd scipy
setup.py build

it immediately complains that there is no scipy_distutils module.  The
best thing to do, still, seems to be to download Fernando Perez's
snapshot of the last CVS archive at

http://ipython.scipy.org/tmp/scipy_cvs_2005-07-29.tgz

and build that.

Even using that archive, I'm finding that "python setup.py bdist_rpm" in
scipy/scipy_core doesn't work any more;  I think it used to.