Re[2]: [SciPy-user] licence: GNU or not GNU for new image analysis platform

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Fri Sep 16 17:07:56 CDT 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Sebastian Haase apparently wrote:
> I'm  just wondering how other people deal with their
> employers/universities  if they want to give away (some)
> results of their work: at least here, everybody seems very
> concerned about someone ELSE getting very rich!

This corruption of academe is partly due to the well
intentioned but misguided Bayh-Dole Act, as well as
a paradigm shift in academe which has undermined its culture
of open exchange.  Fortunately a backlash is gathering.
Remind your employers what a university is.  Maybe ask them
if they think Pitt should have forced Salk to patent his
polio vaccine.  If they say yes, walk away.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac