[SciPy-user] licence: GNU or not GNU for new image analysis platform

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Fri Sep 16 17:24:48 CDT 2005

On Sep 16, 2005, at 5:27 PM, Sebastian Haase wrote:

> Fernando,
> Thanks a lot for the reply:
> My ONLY reasoning was that it might be easier to get permission from
> our
> "patent"-people to use LGPL than BSD (but after all: UCSF is part of
> UC; just
> like Berkeley - where BSD is from !?)
>
> No need to worry about license war - but I'm  just wondering how other
> people
> deal with their employers/universities  if they want to give away
> (some)
> results of their work: at least here, everybody seems very concerned
> about
> someone ELSE getting very rich !! ;-)
>
> Thanks again,
> Sebastian

If I'm not mistaken, nothing prevents you from taking BSD software,
adding stuff to it and relicensing it as GPL (that's what the whole
Python 2.0/GPL compatibility hubbub was all about, allowing that very
thing). BSD permits that (but IANAL). Having said that, I agree with
Fernando, the worry about others getting rich off of this sort of
software is usually way overblown (And even if they did, does it
matter? It doesn't mean you or your organization would have made a cent
off of it anyway. There's usually a lot more involved to making that
money than just writing the code.)

Perry