[SciPy-user] Installation on dual opteron ...

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Sat Sep 24 00:20:24 CDT 2005

Hello,

>  and would like to know, if the patches
>  by Ravikiran Rajagopa
>  (including the c versions of d1mach.f, r1mach.f and i1mach.f,
>  posted in
>  http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/scipy-dev/2820689)
>  have been applied to svn?

As far as I can tell, the answer is no.  As I did mention, I think the C
versions of ?1mach need a lot more testing.  There is also a problem I
just found with Ravi's patch:  gfortran is used to compile and link
absoft_version.so but against -lg2c rather than against -lgfortran.

>- Would you recommend to use
>  - gcc, Branch status 2005-09-13  (frozen for 4.0.2 release)
>  or
>  - or GCC 3.4.4 (released 2005-05-18)
>  instead of gcc 4.0.1?

I would strongly recommend 3.4.4 and g77.  Since gfortran is part of the
gcc4 suite, I'm not sure what will happen if you use gcc 3.x but
gfortran instead of g77.

>  (Would choosing gcc 3.4.4 have any negative impact on 64Bit
>  performance?)

My tests show that gfortran/gcc4 do in fact have some performance
advantages over gcc3/g77, but I've only looked at the i386 platform.

>  F77=gfortran python setup.py install | tee ../scipy_install_log.txt

I think this should be

python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=gfortran install

if you're using Ravi's patches.