[SciPy-user] Installation on dual opteron ...

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Wed Sep 28 03:57:01 CDT 2005

Hi Fernando,

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Fernando Perez wrote:

[...]

> Do you get this error in non-*plt code?

No, and I think it is solved (though it seems to point
to some Numeric problem).

> If so, we should worry about it, but
> if it's only being triggered by *plt code, I'm not sure it warrants spending
> preciously scarce resources, giving that in the new scipy, *plt are going to
> disappear.
> There is pretty much consensus that matplotlib will take care of
> plotting and scipy will drop the old, unmaintained *plt modules.

Umpf - has this already been decided?
scipy.xplt is very important to me/us as a lot of code used in our group
is heavily based on it!

I do understand that new users should use matplotlib.
But I am not sure if it is fair to say that scipy.xplt is unmaintained
as it based on pygist (which is maintained  by Michiel de Hoon)
and both he and Travis also have been very helpful in fixing
bugs for scipy.xplt.
Despite the fantastic progress (also in terms of speed) of matplotlib,
the people in our group still prefer scipy.xplt for fast, one-off plots
to display arrays.

Therefore it would be good if scipy.xplt is kept in
the new scipy (Maybe with a comment in the documentation:
"Only for backwards-compatibility - use matplotlib instead")
so that old code can still run with the new scipy.

Best,

Arnd