[SciPy-user] Installation on dual opteron ...

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Sep 28 04:11:48 CDT 2005

Arnd Baecker wrote:

>>If so, we should worry about it, but
>>if it's only being triggered by *plt code, I'm not sure it warrants spending
>>preciously scarce resources, giving that in the new scipy, *plt are going to
>>disappear.
>>There is pretty much consensus that matplotlib will take care of
>>plotting and scipy will drop the old, unmaintained *plt modules.
>

> Umpf - has this already been decided?
> scipy.xplt is very important to me/us as a lot of code used in our group
> is heavily based on it!
>
> I do understand that new users should use matplotlib.
> But I am not sure if it is fair to say that scipy.xplt is unmaintained
> as it based on pygist (which is maintained  by Michiel de Hoon)
> and both he and Travis also have been very helpful in fixing
> bugs for scipy.xplt.
> Despite the fantastic progress (also in terms of speed) of matplotlib,
> the people in our group still prefer scipy.xplt for fast, one-off plots
> to display arrays.
>
> Therefore it would be good if scipy.xplt is kept in
> the new scipy (Maybe with a comment in the documentation:
> "Only for backwards-compatibility - use matplotlib instead")
> so that old code can still run with the new scipy.

Well, I certainly don't maintain it, so it's ultimately not my call to make.
It's a matter of manpower.  My impression has always been that there isn't
enough of that to maintain the scipy.*plt family when John and his team are
taking care of matplotlib.  And just as much as in the future we hope that the
numerical functionality in matplotlib will migrate (gently) towards scipy, I
think that scipy's core should equally divest itself from plotting conerns.

There's only so much that can be effectively maintained, documented and
developed, and dividing responsibility is the first step towards a sustainable
model.  I worry that by trying to carry *plt around, scipy hurts itself, given
the limited human resources available, which are already stretched pretty thin.

While matplotlib may not be perfect, I'd rather see Travis' and Robert's time
go towards working on core scipy issues, and let John and his group nibble
away at matplotlib's remaining problems.  There is _plenty_ of work to do in
scipy, believe me :)

But again: these are not my personal responsibility, so ultimately the call
will be made by Travis, Robert and the other core developers.  But my vote is
for deprecation, even if it has some negative impact on people.  I'd rather
distribute it as a standalone package _outside_ of scipy, which can be used
(and perhaps maintained in the future) by those who actually need it, without
it being in the scipy core libraries.

Cheers,